Sunday, September 6, 2009

The Battle for 'West': Diary of The Win

Having gone to all of the West football games in the past year, I had to make the journey to Mordor also known as as Waterloo. I decided to keep an ongoing diary of the night. What happened you ask???...history. Let's take a look back shall we?

4:59 I leave my house, beginning the night in a stylish fashion...Wilson's Avalon (that's how I roll). The journey has started.

5:00 I believe in the voodoo stuff, so the first song we listen to on the radio is critical on my vision on how the night will go. What's the song you ask? New Divide by Linkin Park. I start breaking down the lyrics and come to the conclusion that the divide is between West High football and winning, and that tonight might be the night we bridge that gap. American Humanities talent at work ladies and gentlemen...wait, who am I kidding, what ladies? Only gentlemen.

5:05 We didn't plan so well food wise, so we stop at McDonald's in town for a quick bite before hitting the road. I order the McRachke Deluxe (4 McDouble's and a Medium Drink, which always gets a good response by the cashier and my thighs). We receive the first stares of the night by the questionable McDonald's crowd. Naturally, we eat as fast as we can before a brawl breaks out.

5:44 Somewhere around Cedar Rapids, I break into a staring contest with another driver. The result? Score one for David, while the other driver slows down with her tail between her legs.

6:03-6:06 Apparently, I can't read Lady Gaga's poker face.

6:18 Folk music has an FM station?!? Who knew...

6:38 Wilson locks the doors as we first enter Waterloo...not a good sign

6:40 Arrival...hooray!

7:50 After watching our sophomore team beat up on the Wat. West pee-wee football team, the game begins. IC West brings a solid crowd, containing fellow blogger Benny Goerdt (there's your shout out). While Kathryn Smith and Taylor Austin find the biggest bug ever seen on the ground. Later confirmed to be dead by a 10 year old walking by. Only in Waterloo!

8:01 After moving the ball well, Charlie Rogers connects with Richard "Don't call me Kobe" Bryant for an early touchdown. Richard was as open as a Waffle House at 2 AM. The crowd goes crazy, high fives all around, and it's looking good so far.

8:41 Rogers flies by the Wat. West defense, leaving them as confused as O.J. after the verdict. He should switch uniforms with Big Mac so he can be the West high Mike Vick. The night is looking up!

9:00 21-7 at half after another phenomenal TD run by Rogers. The thesaurus is in good use for this blog entry to describe his runs.

9:22 Wat. West scores, but comes up short literally on the extra point. How can you miss an extra point short? Everything is going our way tonight! (note: the J-Train is full steam ahead tonight, like a well oiled machine. Get off the tracks Wahawks...)

9:45 End of 3rd quarter, IC West leads 28-19. Will it be enough? "We need one more score" says Leo Franz '11.

9:53 Wat. West scores...

10: something IC west scores...there you go Leo

10:09 Wat. West scores...uh oh

10:14 On a critical 4th and inches, Neil "Maddawgdiesel6" Madsen trucks some defenders to pick up a first. Do you smell that? I smell victory..."milk that clock" chant begins.

10:20 After punting back to Wat. West, Jacob "Stone Cold" Gannon sacks the QB on 4th giving us the ball back. We kneel (for the first time ever) and win...WIN!

1:36 Sunday Afternoon I double take rereading what I just wrote, boy it feels good!

10:23 After a storming the field denial by Dr. J, we form a tunnel near the locker room to congratulate the team. My life is complete. Discussions of if this was better than Linn-Mar in '07 begin.

10:39 I blackout in the car after the win. My wallet is missing 5 dollars, Wilson suspected.

11:40 A car passes us going at least 140...Sahan suspected.

12:00 Arrive back at home, with a victory in my belly and a tear in my eye.

I'd like to personally say thanks to all the football team for the win. It's the best birthday present a man could have (even if it wasn't my birthday). And way to go if you read the whole thing! You're a trooper.

With love,
David "lights out" Rachke

1 comment:

  1. Rachke... will you go to homecoming with me?

    Rejections aside, I would like to point out that the 'milk that clock' started when we were winning 7-0.

    but seriously... we could go as friends if you want...

    ReplyDelete